Friday, December 13, 2013

Confession: I've Got Marilyn Monroe On My Spirit Altar (Edited to Add Pic)

I've got three altars, one for my ancestors, one for all other spirits, and a special one I won't name here. If I had the space, I'd keep a few more, such as a special one for Coyote and his fellow tricksters.

Anyways, yes, Marylin Monroe, along with a few other people who've inspired me, has a place on my spirit altar. I keep her picture, a small bottle of Chanel no. 5, a small bottle of Fracas, and a tube of red lipstick on it for her. She gets a glass of water and the occasional candle. I've never petitioned her for anything, this is just my way of showing gratitude to her for the joy she's brought me through her films and writing. I've always felt such a strong connection to her.

This is one of the pictures I use.

 I think sometimes people forget that honoring and thanking the spirits is the most important part of spirit work. The spirits are not gumball machines, they are beings with thoughts and feelings. Everyone knows that one "friend" who only drops by when they want something... don't be that guy.

Are there any people who've passed on to whom you are extremely grateful? Perhaps an author or musician or even a human rights activist. I've known a few people with beautiful, heart-felt altars devoted to Martin Luther King Jr. Even if you don't put together an altar, just leaving out a picture, a candle, a glass of water, and maybe some flowers once in a while is a great way to give thanks. Pray to Spirit that they know peace and happiness.

Some advice:
-Your ancestor altar should be dedicated to your ancestors only. Friends may go on a general spirit altar.
-An altar need not be complex! A cross, a white tablecloth or doily, pictures, a bible, glasses of water once a week or so. Many homes have "ancestor altars" but they have no word for them... it's just the special place for pictures of those who've passed on.
-Never put a photo of a living person on an ancestor altar. If your only photo is a group shot, scan it and crop the image.
-Add things your ancestors or spirits like(d). Cigarettes, snuff, dip, coffee/tea, whiskey, wine, fresh or dried flowers, perfume/cologne, honey, books, poems, prayers, Bible verses. If all you have is a glass of water, that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment