Saturday, December 7, 2013

Book Review: The Conjure Workbook Volume 1: Working the Root by Starr Casas

I've already mentioned Starr Casas (Mama Starr) in the past, naming in part one of my "The Best of Online Conjure" series. I've been wanting to read her book so long and I finally got my hands on a copy.

The verdict?

Worth. Every. Penny.

Listen, Mama Starr is the Real Deal. This isn't some rehash of all that fake internet hoodoo, this is true conjure. She works quite similar to the way I do and yet I still learned a few new things. There are things she's included that I never thought I'd see mentioned in any book, such as working with crawfish mud. She even includes several great formulas and instructions for works. I really respect her for not including formulas for goofer dust and crossing power, that stuff should NOT be taken lightly. Too many people online go right to unjustified hurting when they have a problem.

This is both an excellent introduction to conjure for those whose only education has come from the internet and books, and also a great addition to any experienced workers collection. I can't wait to read the rest of her books.

It's funny, I remember reading in a review by DocConjure that in another one of her books, she gives her recipe for hot foot powder. He joked that he was mad she just gave it away, especially since it was so similar to his own formula. Guys, I was blown away... the difference between hers and mind is a single ingredient, and both ingredients are from the same "family" of ingredients. I will not give either formula out here, but she uses one ingredient, which I use too, which I have never, ever seen mentioned anywhere else. I... feel kinda bad. I thought I was special and unique! I'm kidding of course. No I'm not. Yes, yes I am.

2 comments:

  1. Someone pointed me to this and I would like to say thank you for your kind words. Keep true to the work so it is never lost! Be Blessed! Starr

    ReplyDelete